Tuesday, September 1, 2009

OUR LITTLE FISH

About 6 months ago some of my friends told me about a swimming teacher who does private lessons at her home. Both my friends Mimi and Kara have taken their girls to this teacher and both said she was awesome. We had a problem though because when I called Barbara to see if I could sign Brooklyn up for lessons she was completely full and didn't have any room. Barbara told me to check back in September though because she would most likely have some openings then because it wasn't in the middle of the summer. Well last week I got back in touch with her and was happy to hear that she had some room still. Barbara also told me to talk to Brooklyn about it and get her prepared so that she new what to expect. She also said that it is hard for some kids at first because the first day they get there they are so excited to meet Barbara and start swimming and then the minute she puts their face under water they freak out. She told me to hang in there and see it through even if it is difficult because in the end it will pay off.
So, all last week we had been talking to Brooklyn about her awesome new swim teacher, Barbara, and how cool it was going to be for her to learn to swim. Brooklyn was seriously so dang excited. She couldn't stop talking about it all week. She even asked the gymnastics coach if her name was Barbara and if she was going to teach her to swim.
Monday was Brooklyn's first class and she was so excited and ready to get started. We got there kind of early and she was able to watch another little boy's swim lesson. She couldn't wait and I had to keep telling her to not interrupt this boy's swim lesson because she wanted to talk to Barbara and tell her how excited she was to learn to swim.
Finally when it was her turn she ran right over to Barbara and got right in the water with her. The first thing they did was get to know each other a little. Barbara did such a great job making her feel comfortable. Then she said ok Brooklyn lets go for a swim I'm going to put you under the water and then bring you right back up, one two three... Slowly she put Brooklyn under the water and brought her right back up. Brooklyn was a little shocked at first but didn't cry and was seriously just fine with it. I was so happy!! She went under the water like 7 times and was still a happy girl and was excited for more.
Today was her second lesson and she was so excited again. She did amazing and Started to go under the water on her own. We are so glad she loves it and is such a sweet girl at her swimming lessons. Barbara is a great teacher and we are glad that we found her. Thanks girl's for the recommendation!

Day1

Blowing bubbles!
Getting used to the goggles.
Searching for toy's.
Big splashes.
Head under water.

Grandma was so excited she was able to be there to watch.


Day 2

Head under water.
Swimming to the step with her head under water.

Big kicks.
Back float
Learning to climb out of the pool by herself.

Diving for little toys.
Swimming to the step with her head under water.

8 comments:

winston and jillyn egan said...

swim lessons make the world of difference. It's so funny how proud you get hu? She looks so cute with her goggles:)

Nichole W. said...

OHHHH Tami! Be so grateful she is doing so well! That is amazing! Hudson screamed and screamed and screamed and screamed....and he had a good teacher too. It was traumatic for both of us! He only went for 6 days, but he did start to get better towards the end.

Cori Henderson said...

So cute! My girl's loved their swimming lessons too.

heidijogoody said...

That is so great! I have been wanting to put the girls in swim lessons too

mistyb said...

yay brooklyn! so proud of her! So i totally tried the technique of just slowly putting the kids under water today in the pool and dylen did it like 4 times and only cried the first time. So thanks for sharing some tips!!

Mimi said...

I'm glad Brooklyn got in with Barbara, she really is good. Adison is back with her this week too. What time do you guys go?

MELANIE ARCHULETA said...

yay brooklyn!!!!

Mimi said...

That's so funny I originally had Adison in at 10:45 and then changed it to 4:45 because I didn't want it to interfere with preschool. But it didn't matter because I decided to put Adison in the afternoon class. Anyway, I'm glads Brooklyn is doing good. Next year you can have both the girls in, How fun would that be! I still can't believe Adison started with Barbara since 10months old. It will be funny because I have a feeling Brooklyn will talk about Barbara all year until she sees her again.