After getting back from shopping the girls and I made sugar cookies like we do every year. They LOVE helping me cook, it might be one of their favorite things to do. They take turns putting in the ingredients and I love that they get all ready with their aprons on. Toby enjoyed watching his football games while we cooked. When the sugar cookies were cooling down I made dinner. We had the traditional soup in the bread bowl and a nice little candle light dinner. It was so nice just being us and not having to go from house to house the way we do when we are in Utah. Although we miss family very much it was nice to do it alone for a change.
After dinner we frosted cookies and Brooklyn and Nikell put the cookies on a plate for santa. They also got some carrots and celery for the reindeer. Brooklyn was more excited then I have ever seen her at Christmas time. I remember feeling that way when I was young. The magic of it all was so much fun and I love watching her feel that same way.
After we frosted cookies Toby read the nativity story while the girls acted it out. They both really wanted to be mary though so we had two marry's in our story. They did fight a little over baby Jesus and had a few issues but for the most part it was a fun night. We then opened our christmas jammies and then we headed to bed. Toby scored some sweet yo gabba gabba jammies. He looked pretty hilarious, the girls loved it!
Some of the things I remember from my childhood on Christmas Eve were having candelight dinner with clam chowder and sometimes broccoli cheese soup, Singing Christmas songs together as a family while my dad and later on my brothers would join in on the guitar. These were always things I loved and looked forward too and I hope my kids love the traditions we continue to carry on.














1 comment:
As hard as it is to be away from family for the holidays sometimes it is nice to just do your own thing and have your own traditions and not feel so rushed and worried that you are seeing everyone that needs to be seen. It seems like you guys had a great Christmas eve. Those jammies of Toby's are killing me :)
Post a Comment